Department of Health and Social Care
At the Department of Health and Social Care we support ministers in leading the nation’s health and social care to help people live more independent, healthier lives for longer.
We are responsible for:
- supporting and advising our ministers: we help them shape and deliver policy that delivers the government’s objectives
- setting direction: we anticipate the future and lead debate ensuring we protect and improve global and domestic health
- accountability: we make sure the department and our arm’s length bodies deliver on our agreed plans and commitments
- acting as guardians of the health and care framework: we make sure the legislative, financial, administrative and policy frameworks are fit for purpose and work together
- troubleshooting: in the last resort, the public and Parliament expect us to take the action needed to resolve crucial and complex issues